Crowing Ram

Friday, January 03, 2003
 
I recently mentioned restarting my Koigu socks. Those of you who've seen me knit on the old sock know that it hasn't progressed much in the last several months. I've been working on the heel piecemeal forever. I'll work a bit and tear it out... work a bit... tear it out. It's not that it's that bad. It's actually quite pretty. I particularly like the eye of partridge heel pattern.
But I don't work on the sock that often, and I kept losing track of where I was. You may be able to tell in the photo that I did so even in this latest version. About halfway up the heel, there's a section that almost looks like ribbing. No big deal, and no one other than me would probably have noticed it. The problem is that I did notice it.
I had been wanting to learn how to knit socks from the toe up, anyway, so when Rob printed out toe-up sock techniques from Knitty and brought them downstairs, I was caught hook, line, and sinker.
I'm still mid-toe, but I can tell that I already like the technique. As I mentioned in a previous post, I went down to 1US needles from the 2US needles that I was using on the top-down sock, so I did knit a guage swatch beforehand. I'm getting 8sts/in, if you're interested. As you may be able to tell from the photo, you actually start at about the point where your toes hit your foot, knit forward in short rows (leaving unknit stitches on either side of your work as you go) to the tip of the toe, then sort of flip over the end of the toes, and knit back up to the point where you started picking up the unknit stitches you left before as you go back. Eventually, you have a little cup of a toe, and you can start knitting in the round. I've just turned the toe and am knitting back out to finish the cup.
Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

STEAL
THESE BUTTONS...

Crowing Ram

ThreadBear Fiber Arts Studio
...AND
FOLLOW THESE

Black Dog


And She Knits Too

ChicKnits

ColorJoy!

The Crochet Dude

Everybody Loves Saturday Night

Feeling a Bit Sheepish

handknitter

Keyboard Biologist

Knitknacks

knittingfrau

Maggistitches

Manolo for the Men

ModeKnit

THE PANOPTICON

Purls Before Swine

red dog knits

See Eunny Knit

I'll see you at
Knitter's Review



Matt's Current Wallpaper
Widescreen Graphic.


Knitting Bloggers
«« Previous | List | Random | Next »»

QueerKnit
«« Previous | List | Random | Next »»

Men Who Knit
«« Prev | List | Random | Next »»

Fiber Arts Bloggers
«« Previous | List | Random | Next »»

Knit Biz Bloggers
«« Previous | List | Random | Next »»

<$MTYahooStats$>